Design Blog for Online Media Productions Assignment
Cultural Probe Kit
- Voice recorder — We(My team and I) would encourage them to talk through their issues and struggles with being alone. The instructions would also ask them to download a few dating apps and go through the process of registering on it, and using the app and letting us know how they feel as they do so. Questions they would be asked to keep in mind are: (1) Is the user-face old-people-friendly, or is it difficult to grasp. (2) What do they like and dislike about each app? (3) What features/functionalities do they wish the app had that would better their experience on it?
- Camera — If they would be up for doing it, we would ask them to do record themselves using a device of their choosing (preferably a laptop webcam). This would give us more insight into the emotions behind the words, and it would also give us more of an insight into how they feel whilst using the app.
- Journal — although the other two options would be more favorable, if all else fails we’ll ask that they keep a journal, to document their thoughts and experiences.
At least two members of the team would go out and perform the following:
- Live with a relative, or a relative’s friend who is living the conditions of the target user’s profile
- Go to a nursing home, and talk to some old people about their experience
- Due to the current COVID situation the above step might be replaced with phone calls.
- Talk to members of organizations which deal with/care for old people, like ALONE.
- How do you feel at the moment?
- Is there anything missing in your life at the moment?
- Is companionship important to you?
- How long have you been by yourself for?
- Is you being by yourself by choice, lack of availability of suitable partners, or another reason?
- Do you have a family?
- Do they check-up on you often?
- Do you have friends?
- How often do they check up on you?
- Do you like technology?
- Do you use technology often?
- What’s one thing that you like and don’t like about technology?
- Have they ever used a dating app before?
- General dating app vs. a dating app for old people, which do you prefer?
- What features would you like the app to have besides finding someone and being able to contact them?
Identify the Focus Group
The target user would be
- 65+ years of age
- Living by themselves
- In a decent/comfortable economic situation
- In need of companionship
The target user would not be:
- Against technology
How would I incorporate quantitative and qualitative methods
Along with the survey, culture hunt and cultural probe kit I would use secondary resources for this portion of the research, such as Google scholar, and the other myriad of methods mentioned in the prompt.